Heritage Open Day event – guided tour around the Submarine Mining Establishment
|28 August 2021||Posted by Felixstowe Museum under||
Free guided tour of the Ravelin Block (which now houses Felixstowe Museum) which was completed by the Royal Engineers in 1878 as part of the Submarine Mining Establishment (SME) at Felixstowe. Starting outside, the tour will follow the route of the narrow gauge trolleyway through the building where mines were prepared and tested including a behind the scenes look at the rooms such as the Smith’s Shop not normally open to museum visitors. We will then trace the track to the remains of the riverside mining jetty where the mines would be loaded onto the steam launch ‘Nellie’ to be laid across the river mouth, exploring the various surviving features as we go.
The Shop and Café will be open, but only the museum exhibition rooms required for the tour will be open to facilitate access to behind-the-scenes areas.
Duration of tour: 30-45 mins